Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Does Dropping a College Class Show a Lack of Strength of Character?


During all my days in college I only dropped one college class. You see, I didn't believe going to a few classes before the drop date was enough to ensure that I liked the teacher or the class. Also, I realized there was a weeding out process, and it didn't make sense to be the one who got weeded out, I always felt I was better than that, and was never afraid of hard work, or the adversity which comes with some of the tougher classes.
Further, I realized there would be monotone professors in future classes where dropping the class just wouldn't be an option, and I may as well get used to it now. The other day, I was talking to an acquaintance about that, and he said he never dropped the class in college because he felt that would show a lack of strength of character. Is this true? In many regards I think what I was explaining above is along the same lines of thinking. It does somewhat reveal character, but sometimes there are such overwhelming circumstances that only a fool would not drop the class.
You see, I've been in classes where the teacher or instructor was unworkable, wouldn't answer questions, talked in monotone, or didn't have what I felt was the knowledge to justify my cost, thus, felt it was more responsible to drop the class in that case. So there is that point is well, and I'm sure you see the rationalization for the occasional dropping of a college class. Also you might realize that it costs a lot of money to go to some of these classes, and you shouldn't have to pay for something that is not serving you.
As a college student you are also a consumer, and you should vote with your dollar and your feet. Too often colleges are so authoritarian-based they think they can get away with lousy professors with tenure who don't really care about the class they are teaching, and are merely assignment coordinators for you to read various passages in the textbook, do rote memorization, and then answer the test questions which they purposely make tricky to trip you up.
If that's all these classes have to offer, then perhaps you should occasionally drop a class - because otherwise you could study all that information on the Internet anyway. I can tell you this, since I left school I have always studied and learned at a maximum level equal to or more so than during my time in college. Today with the Internet, you don't really need to go to college if you just want the information. Of course, college is an experience in and of itself, a chance to socialize, and it's quite fun. Still, you have to decide if you want to deal with these types of classes, pay for them, and then deal with the student loans after you graduate.
Staying in classes that cost too much money and will further deepen you in debt causing you to live your business career in economic enslavement makes no sense whatsoever. Much of this information is available online in YouTube videos and lectures, and you can buy a textbook from the used bookstore or thrift store for under two dollars these days. Indeed I hope you will just please consider all this and think on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment